Wednesday 30 July 2014

Memory Box Movies - Review: Evolution (2001)

Here is my first review from Memory Box Movies.


I remember the first time I saw this film, it was with my friend Claire who begrudgingly came with me to see a sci-fi film and she was not happy about it. However, what we got was an American Pie style comedy wrapped around a sci-fi premise and that was brilliant!!


The film follows Ira (David Duchovney) and Harry (Orlando Jones) who while attempting to study a geological site stumble across alien life forms, which evolve at an extremely rapid rate.  Obviously no one believes them and chaos ensues.  Dragging Allison (Julianne Moore) and Wayne (Sean William-Scott) into the mix leaves us with a dysfunctional group of misfits trying to save the world!

I was so chuffed when I saw that Jenna had reviewed this. I'd never seen it before but I remember a family holiday years ago, everyone was talking about it and I wasn't allowed to see it. I'd actually forgotten all about it until now!

 
I didn't expect to enjoy this film as much as I did, some of the comedy one-liners had me in fits of laughter and I wasn't even disappointed with the fact that Sean William-Scott plays the only character he seems to know how to play. The story is unique and different from sci-fi films at the time, it has a real old school B-Movie feel about it which only adds to its charm.

Ira and Harry's double act is brilliant, I would not have put them together but they have a real chemistry.  Ira's dry humour coupled with Harry's more obvious humour is a great combination.  Julianne Moore doesn't appear to have much use in the film other than a minor love interest storyline but this doesn't ruin it for me, I would happily watch this film over and over again and still find the toilet humour funny. 


I didn't really get on with Evolution if I'm honest. I think if I had seen it when it first came out, it would have been a different story. In fact, I'd love to find someone who has never seen Dude Where's My Car, get them to watch it now and see what they think, because I bet they'll hate it.

I don't want to hate on Evolution because it wasn't a bad film, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. If I could, I would go back in time and see it years ago when it was a little more relevant.
 
This is a must see for anyone who enjoys Monster B-Movies and American Pie (odd combination I know but you have to see it to believe it). Give it a go, you might like it!

 




3 comments:

  1. I remember thinking this was really funny when it first came out, but I don't remember any of it now. Whatever happened to Orlando Jones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he in Sleepy Hollow now.

      Delete
    2. I bet I would have loved it if I watched it back then, maybe it just hasn't aged well. I haven't seen much of Orlando Jones at all but he's in a new TV Show at the moment called Sleepy Hollow, I don't know if you've heard of it? Season 2 should be starting in the next couple of months, it was really good!

      Delete