Thursday 17 July 2014

Review: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

I didn't really want to see this film, I've gone right off Tom Cruise since the debacle that was Jack Reacher so I just didn't want to be disappointed again!  Luckily, I didn't judge a book by it's lead actor and went anyway and I'm glad I did...


William Cage (Tom Cruise) is a scared officer, unwilling to go anywhere near the front line until he is thrown in the deep end by General Brigham.  Once in the action, he gets caught in a time loop that wakes him up at the same point whenever he dies.  He then meets Rita (Emily Blunt) who knows what's happening to him and promises him to train him up.  The rest of the film is them working as a team to save the world from an alien invasion, the same day at a time!

I haven't seen this yet, but I will, begrudgingly. A friend at work made a joke about Tom Cruise's film roles, basically saying that he plays the exact same character in everything that he's in. I shouldn't judge him for that, because for me, Liam Neeson could play the same role in every film and it would take a while for me to get bored of that. But still!


Whenever I watch a movie that involves time loops or time travel I have to fight the urge to analyse it to death, looking got plot holes and paradoxes that can't be explained away.  A two hour discussion with my dad about Paycheck with Ben Affleck ruined that film for me, even though I quite enjoyed it initially, I can't watch it now.  Looper is another one that I have analysed to death and never want to watch again because the one major plot hole has ruined it for me.  So I tried to watch this with an open mind and not think about the time loop aspect and just enjoy the film.  That is exactly what I did, I really enjoyed this, it had a twist on your classic alien fighting film in that the bloke is the weak scared one and the woman is badass (which I loved!).  If you had told me last year that Emily Blunt was going to play a badass alien fighter, I would have laughed in your face, but she absolutely nailed it.


There were some great comedy elements throughout and it touched on a complicated romance between the guy who's learning all about the girl and the girl who has only ever known the guy for a day but didn't focus too much on it.  The action sequences were great and not so rushed that you can't see what's happening (a failure of all Transformers movies in my opinion) and they managed to not make it at all repetitive considering the film is a constant repeat of the same day.  When they had to go through the same scenes again they used comedy to make it different from the first time around which I loved.

I promise I'll watch this, once the DVD is out probably, and give it a chance. I know I'll enjoy it once I see it!

Definitely worth seeing, even if you are like me and have lost faith in Tom Cruise, this might just bring you back.



4 comments:

  1. Glad you took a chance at saw it! Personally, the best film I've seen this year. Cruise is a bit Marmite for audiences, but you can't deny he has a strong body of work built-up...even if Jack Reacher/Rock of Ages was a bit of a mis-step! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I'm glad you liked it so much! I don't know why I whine about Tom Cruise so much because when I finally force myself to see one of his movies, I love it! I'm just going to have to take the plunge :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Admittedly, I was very reluctant to see this movie myself. I actually did a snarky post about how Cruise basically plays the same role every time. That said, I really enjoyed this film. It was a fun popcorn movie, versus Transformers 4 which was just painful. I really loved Emily Blunt in this film.

    Great review Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've said that! I've been really resistant but I just might give it a try soon :)
      - Allie

      Delete