Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mini Reviews: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014), The Longest Week (2014) & Step Up All In (2014)

Every time I try to tell someone about this film or find it on IMDB, I have to go via actors names because for the life of me I cannot remember any part of this title after Alexander and even after I write it I still can't remember.  This isn't really relevant to my review but just thought I would throw that in there.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014)



Alexander Cooper (Ed Oxenbould) is usually the one in the family to have a bad day, their lives seem to go well while he is stuck with gum in his hair and various other calamities. That is until he wishes for his family to have a bad day instead of him, which leads to a whole heap of chaos.

I was stuck in an apartment with nothing to do except watch films, i was looking for something easy to watch and that is what I got with this one.  Its not overly clever or hysterically funny but its entertaining and keeps you interested throughout.  I've caught some reviews for this and everyone says how bad it is, 'truly awful' and 'don't waste your money' - OK so maybe I wouldn't pay to go to the cinema to see it but when its on the TV its not all that bad.

I liked this more than I thought I would! It's definitely not a film targeted at me and it's super cheesy, but I wasn't bored for a single minute.

The Longest Week (2014)


Conrad (Jason Bateman) is a spoilt man-child who lives in the hotel that his parents own. When they decide to get divorced neither of them want to pay for Conrad and so he gets left out in the cold.  In the same week, he falls out with his best friend and falls in love, making up the longest week.

I think this was supposed to be good but I just couldn't get into it, in fact I fell asleep twice and I had to rewind it to the point when I dosed off.  Unfortunately, I was that uninterested that I couldn't place where I had fallen asleep, do I had to start from the beginning each time! argh!  I don't think helped with my opinion of the film.  It had a Wes Anderson feel about it but less edgy and clever.

This film actually felt like a week to me. I was convinced I'd love it because of the cast, but wow, it sure fell short of the mark!

Step Up All In (2014)


I'm not even going to provide a synopsis for this, its the same story as every other Step up movie and every other dance movie for that matter.  As per usual, the dance sequences are amazing to watch and the music is awesome but the dialogue is painful at best and the story utterly predictable.  I was expecting a bit more from the choreography though, I always expect the newer dance movies to improve on the older ones but this one just didn't step up <--- yes I went there!! (Groan...)

3 comments:

  1. Step Up All In is the only one I've seen. The story, acting, and writing were all crap, but damn if I didn't have fun watching the dance scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dell, you should watch some of the older ones, I personally think the dance numbers are better in those than this one, but then you will have to suffer the bad dialogue, stories and acting again!
      - Jen

      Delete
  2. Oooh i'll have a look at your review. It's definitely worth a watch, especially if you have kids :-)
    - Jenna

    ReplyDelete