Thursday 3 September 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Teachers

Hellooo. Allie here, remember me? I kind of disappeared for a long time. I’m back now, I promise! Whilst I’m still kicking myself into gear I thought now would be a great time to jump back on the Thursday Movie Picks wagon, what with it being Thursday and all that.


Thursday Movie Picks is hosted by Wanderer at Wandering Through the Shelves. Each week brings a new theme, and each week we all pick 3 movies that fit the theme. This week is Teachers, which is very fitting as all the kids are heading back to school. Is summer really over already?

matilda-teacher-trunchbull

My first pick is a movie I haven’t seen in years, but I’ve seen it so many times I remember it clearly. Plus, any time I hear the song ‘On My Way’ I start thinking about pancakes. Anyway, there are a number of teachers in Matilda, but the one on my mind is Head Teacher Mrs Trunchbull. She was the worst! I think we all saw our own Head Teachers that way though. The scene with her and Bruce Bogtrotter will forever be etched in my mind, and chocolate fudge cake never tasted the same after I watched Matilda.

starter-for-10-teacher-benedict-cumberbatch

Moving on to something a little more obscure, my second pick is Starter for 10. It’s so conventionally British it’s almost cringey, but it was an entertaining watch. James McAvoy joins his University’s University Challenge team, schooled by the leader, Benedict Cumberbatch, who takes on a teacher’s role for his team. Only he’s a bit of a jerk, and gets a well deserved fist in the face. Even I laughed at that part!

harry-potter-teacher-professor-remus-lupin

I realise I’ve picked 2 terrible teachers so far, so for my third choice, let me pick my favourite movie teacher of all time, Professor Lupin, played by David Thewlis. Okay, so Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban isn’t a movie about a teacher, but it’s filled with teachers! Professor Lupin in my opinion is/was the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and his bond with Harry was one of my favourite things about the whole film.

22 comments:

  1. Excellent picks! I didn't even think of using any of the teachers from Harry Potter. That's amazing. I'm glad you picked Starter for 10 too, I liked that little film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Give me enough time and I'll fit Harry Potter into any theme, ha!
      I'm really glad you liked Starter for 10, I think it's a good little hidden gem of a film :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. You got me. Not seen any of these. Haven't even heard of Starters for 10. Sounds very interesting, though, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to sit down. I'm feeling like an actual legit blogger right now who knows about non-mainstream movies, ha!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. MATILDA! I love Miss Honey so much. But you're right Trunchbull steals the show (LOVE the musical, too). Lupin is the best teacher at Hogwarts (after Dumbledore himself and maybe McGonnagal), and Azkaban is my favorite of the books and the movies. Haven't seen Starter for Ten yet but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I remember wanting one of my teachers to be like Miss Honey. I can't type to word 'difficulty' without thinking of this film either.
      Definitely give Starter for 10 a go!
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Lupin is my favorite Hogwarts teacher, couldn't resist using him for this week's theme! I still have to watch Starter for 10, and I completely forgot about Matilda! Ms Trunchbull is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just have to start a Lupin appreciation post now!
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. I have not seen Matilda or Starter for 10 although that one sounds pretty good. I love Lupin and wished he was in all the films as a teacher-great character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how well Matilda has aged but it was a film of my childhood and one of my favourites for sure. Starter for 10 is worth a watch though!
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. Starter for 10 was British to its backbone and once I got use to that I ended up enjoying it. I always liked McGonagall best of the HP professors, she's spiky but fair underneath however Lupin is a terrific choice as well. I haven't gotten around to Matilda yet though it is on my list. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the exact same Joel! It took me a while but I really got into it. McGonagall is a very close second for me, she's the perfect combination of strict but fair.
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Oooh, Benedict Cumberbatch is an adorkable teacher in Starter for 10. Nice to see the teachers from HP in a lot of these list, I am partial to Prof. Snape though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just! I wanted to pinch his cheeks but give him a slap at the same time, ha!
      I change my mind about Snape constantly, ugh!
      - Allie

      Delete
  8. Excellent picks! Especially the shout out to Matilda, haven't seen that in an age. A favourite film of my younger days.

    -Katie at Ever So Ethnically Confused

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I haven't seen it for at least 10 years, but it was one of my favourite childhood films :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  9. MATILDA! Love, love that movie! Like you, its been awhile since I've seen it but have watched it so many times that I could probably quote it from beginning to end haha. Haven't seen the other two, haven't even heard of Starter of 10 but it sounds interesting enough to check out someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaay! I think I need to watch Matilda again soon, just to see if it's still as great as I remember it to be :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  10. Lupin again! Love that pick. And Matilda is a great pick. Love that movie so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Thursday will now be known as Lupin appreciation day, ha!
      - Allie

      Delete
  11. Mathilda is the booknerd movie. I only remember the nice teacher in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Honey was the best teacher :) I can't stop myself thinking of Matilda everytime I type the word 'difficulty'!
      - Allie

      Delete