Thursday 29 September 2016

Review: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

UPDATED POST with Jenna's Review: At this point in time, I could take or leave the whole superhero thing. There’s just too many shows and movies out there to keep track of. That said, the movie fan in me will never say no, so I’ll still be watching them all, even though I won’t have a clue what’s going on in some. However, the sheer number of trailers and TV spots for Batman v Superman infuriated me beyond reason. I watched the first trailer, which gave me more than enough, and by the time Wonder Woman and Aquaman were announced, I gave up.  Gutted!  I have been that busy the lsat few months that I completely missed this, I really wanted the IMAX experience as well.  I will add to this when I finally get around to watching the DVD! 

AND here I am having purchased the DVD and FINALLY watching it!

batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review-2016

I steered clear of everything after that point, and so now I’m not sure what’s a spoiler and what isn’t anymore. I won’t mention the ending of course, now even I am that dense, but if you haven’t seen the movie yet, you might want to move along.  Now, here is where I fell down, I was desperate to see Suicide Squad when it was released, I didn't think anything of it...that is until the first 3 minutes of the film was a MASSIVE spoiler for B vs S...waaaaaaaah!!  Soooo I knew how it was going to end, before I even started it!

It’s taken me a few days to even work out what my feelings are towards Batman v Superman, but before I read too many other reviews, I think it best to get my feelings down before I change my mind about things. I want to be clear in the fact that I enjoyed watching this. It was entertaining, and I didn’t feel like it was as long as it was. However, it was a mess. The plot was all over the place. And so rather than try to write a well formed review, I’m just going to splurge my feelings all over this post.  I am struggling to form coherent thoughts about this but one thing I can say is that I DID enjoy it, even after hearing all the terrible reviews and people moaning - I still liked it!

So, in the style of the movie this post is about, here are my feelings about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), in the order that it lands at the front of my mind:

How many times do we need to be reminded that Bruce Wayne’s parents were murdered in front of him as a child? Was there seriously anyone who watched this who really didn’t know how they died?

Let’s talk Batman himself. I’m not passionate enough about the comics to rank the multiple forms Batman has taken over the years, but I really liked Ben Affleck’s version. He’s got that grumpy charisma that I pictured. I still can’t shake the image of that batsuit looking like Lego Batman, though.

batman-v-superman-lego-ben-affleck
Seriously. Cannot. Unsee.
Superman, on the other hand, was the mopiest hero I’ve ever seen. Guy had a permanent ‘I can smell a fart’ face the entire time. Yes, okay, that bathtub scene was pretty hot, but then my practical side kicked in and started stressing about all the water on the floor. You’re so irresponsible, Clark Kent!

Jesse Eisenberg! He plays douchebag so well that I kind of assume him to be like that in real life. Was he really playing Lex Luthor though? He’d make a perfect Riddler, I think. Anyway, I appreciated all of his scenes, bringing the humour to an otherwise dark movie.  As one of my many obessesions, I thought Jesse Eisenberg was great, perfect combo of dark and twisty and comedy.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, and...the other one. Cyborg? Was there any point in them being here other than to promote their own movies? If not, couldn’t they just go Deadpool, break the fourth wall and have a sandwich board with their respective release dates on? On the subject of Wonder Woman, her score was awesome, but it felt so out of place with the rest of the soundtrack that it stood out for all the wrong reasons.  I had issues with this myself, one thing I really did dislike about this was that it didn't appear be a movie in its own right, rather a very looooong trailer for Justice League and all the individual movies that will go along with it.  I'm pretty sure I felt the same about the second Avengers movie which felt like a set up for Captain America: Civil War!!

batman-v-superman-jesse-eisenberg

The action scenes were really well done, and the main reason I enjoyed the movie itself. I’ve been spoiled lately with the fight scenes in Daredevil and there was one Batman scene in particular here that really stood out. It was one of those where you want to say ‘oooh, I really felt that!’

Am I remembering this wrong or was Lois Lane a total badass in Man of Steel? Her only purpose in this was to be saved. Oh, and to throw that weapon into a pool of water for no reason, only to have to fetch it again. And be saved. Doh. Man up, woman!  She didn't add much value to this one, did she?!  I do love Amy Adams though so I can't complain too much.

I have to say the action scenes were great, they weren't so fast that you couldn't see what was going on but enough action to keep you on the edge of your seat.  I liked the story, even if it was a bit confused at times but I did find myself annoyed at Batman going after Superman all the time, just get over it.  Why not just sit down and have a chat with him?! he seems like a reasonable guy "Listen Superman, people are scared of you because you are an alien and could kill everyone with a blast of your eyes - any chance you could take a sabbatical until everyone calms down?" Clark "Sure no problem, see you in a year or two, i'll be in Bali". Admittedly, it would have been a much shorter film but much more realistic!!

batman-v-superman-henry-cavill
Did this scene remind anyone else of The Green Inferno?
Aaand that about sums it up! If you’re still reading this ramble, I both apologise and applaud you at the same time. Regular posting to resume shortly!

Liked the film, if I didn't think about it too much.  As I have just found out from the ranty rant rant above, if I overthink it I start to pick holes and enjoy it less!







5 comments:

  1. You still come out liking this better than I did. It was a complete mess from start to finish. So many things were jammed n there for no reason other than to promote future flms they took away from this one. And Eisenberg was most certainly not playing Lex Luthor. I agree it seems he would make a fine Riddler. Just too many negatives to count in your comments section, but you touched on many of them. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I held back a little, because if I'd written this after watching Civil War I would have torn it to pieces!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. The action scenes were fun but I rolled my eyes at this so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still laughing at 'Martha'...the memes will never get old!
      - Allie

      Delete